What's the deal with Psyllium Husk?
First off, what is Psyllium?
Psyllium is an edible soluble fibre and prebiotic which comes from the seeds of the Plantago ovata plant species. It is well known for its excellent colon cleansing abilities and its aid in the regularity of bowel movements, but even if your digestive health is 'on point' you may still benefit from taking psyllium husks regularly.
How can Psyllium Husk help me?
1. Psyllium is a prebiotic - a substance needed for healthy colonies of probiotics to grow in the gut. This is essential for healthy immune function and good gut health.
2. It helps promote regularity. Psyllium can hold up to 16x its dry volume in water! This absorbant effect helps to soften stool and ease the passing of bowel movements as well as improving regularity. We should all be aiming for the perfect poo!
3. Psyllium can help avoid blood glucose spikes. Some research has shown that fibres like psyllium can help people maintain a healthy glycemic balance and support healthy weight loss or maintenance. It also makes you feel a little fuller which means you're less likely to overeat.
4. It can support good heart health. Research has shown that taking soluble fibre (such as psyllium) can help people manage their cholesterol levels. One study shows that at least 6weeks of daily psyllium intake is an effective way for people who are overweight or obese to lower their cholesterol levels.
5. It contributes to you daily fibre intake. Ideally we need around 25grams to 30grams of fibre a day. A cup of oats contains about 10grams of fibre, add in 1 tbsp of psyllium husk and you've now got 15grams!
Find it in our gut-loving Bone Broth Blends!
Because at Best Bones Broth we're all about maximising our health you'll find psyllium husk in our Daily Tonic and Asian Infusion bone broth blends. It's the ultimate gut health combo! When you're sipping away at your broth just make sure to keep a teaspoon handy to give the broth a stir every now and then so the psyllium doesn't settle at the bottom of your mug and instead does its good duty for your body.
The Best Bones Broth Team