Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Filo Pie
800g free range boneless chicken thighs - cut into bite-sized pieces
2 leeks - white part sliced thinly (use 1 medium brown onion if leeks not available)
1 large carrot - grated
3 garlic cloves - finely diced
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
250g Swiss brown mushrooms (could also use button mushrooms) - halved and sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth or 3-4tsp chicken broth powder and 500mL water
3/4 cup fresh cream
1 rounded teaspoon wholegrain mustard
Filo pastry – you’ll need 6-8 sheets
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Olive oil for sautéing
1. Heat a glug of olive oil in a large sauté pan over a medium high heat. Season the chicken and place in the sauté pan (in batches) to brown. Do not cook all the way through. Set aside.
2. Give the sauté pan a quick wipe before adding another good glug of olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the leek, carrot and garlic gently, without browning, for 8-10 minutes, until tender.
3. Add the tarragon and mushrooms. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken to the pan and sprinkle with the flour. Toss together for a minute before adding the wine, broth, cream and mustard.
5. Bring to a boil, before simmering for 15 minutes. Season well.
6. Place the pie filling in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Spoon the chicken into an oven-proof dish. Carefully separate the filo pastry sheets. Brush each with melted butter on both sides using a pastry brush. Scrunch up the pastry sheet lightly and place on top of the pie. Repeat until you’ve covered the filling.
8. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe by Kelly Gibney